Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sprained ankles, lice, and the Bachelor

Since I'm brand new to the blogging world, I feel like there is so much I want to post about as a way to introduce myself.  However, I feel slightly extremely odd posting anything right now since no one knows I'm here.  It probably feels similar to the way an unknown comedian would feel performing in an empty theater {insert cricket sounds here}.  But I'm not ever going to get any blog followers if I don't ever post.  I keep hearing the voice whispering to Kevin Costner in The Field of Dreams..."If you build it, he will come."  I don't know if that really applies here, but I find it oddly inspiring that people will eventually discover my little blog.  okay...here I go.

First off, here's a little tidbit about me. I decided to begin blogging and making things for Teachers Pay Teachers when I entered into a new phase of my life where my little birdies left the nest.  Yep, my two children had the nerve to become adults and move on with their own lives without me. Okay, well actually they just went off to college, but it still left me with an empty nest and time to explore my own interests. Now, I don't want to mislead you and have you think that I am well-adjusted and immediately started living my own life and pursuing my own interests the second my nest became empty.  It took a little an insane amount of time to get to that point.  My nest has been empty for a year and half.  For the first year, I spent most of my spare time either curled up in the fetal position feeling sorry for myself or stuffing my face with comfort food.  I decided 2014 was the year to dust off the chicken potpie crumbs, uncurl myself, and stop the pity party. 2014 is the year that I am going to do things that I've been putting off for years because I was too busy raising my little ones while working full time. 2014 is the year for great things to happen! {I feel like the Rocky theme song should be playing here}

Now, let's look at some highlights of the start of 2014...
1.  NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS:
I made an overarching resolution to accomplish something each and every day.  I broke that down into more specific action goals.  One was that I would walk/run on the treadmill every day when I got home from work (remember, I had a year of drowning my sorrows in comfort food). Another one was that I would not leave work until all student work for the day was corrected and filed in their mailboxes.  I was off to an excellent start with both of these goals until this happened...

I rolled my ankle and ended up with a really bad sprain.  No more treadmill for a while!  I am actually dying to get back on the treadmill [those are words I thought I'd never say!].  I'm hoping that I will be good to go in a few more days because it happened 13 days ago!!!  Now, for obvious reasons, this was a little speedbump with the treadmill, but it also disrupted my other goal about correcting papers.  Working all day with my ankle like this resulted in me being an extremely cranky teacher by the time 3:00 rolled around. Rather than stay after school to grade papers and clean up my room, I have had to leave immediately to get home and rest and elevate my ankle. Now I have an enormous stack of papers and a messy room that I absolutely MUST deal with tomorrow!

2.  LICE: 
2nd time this school year- I now have the psychosomatic head itching, lovely styling of a ponytail every day, and all pillows/stuffed animals bagged up for the time being.

3.  CLASSROOM HAPPENINGS:
We read all about Martin Luther King, Jr.  We did a great activity about how we may be different on the outside but we are all the same on the inside using brown and white eggs. {Thank you Cara Carroll for this great idea!}. We also read the book Spoon and talked about how we need to embrace and celebrate our differences, and made the TLC directed art lesson for Martin Luther King Jr.

We read the awesome book The Snowglobe Family and made these cute 3D snowglobes and wrote about what it would be like to live in a snowglobe. I know there are many versions of this snowglobe activity out there, but my inspiration came from this activity which I had saved on Pinterest.

A few other winter-themed art activities:  torn-paper snowmen, directed art Tacky the Penguin, and Catching Snowflakes.

4.  THE BACHELOR:
I am obsessed with this season's Bachelor.  Last week, Juan Pablo took Chelsea to a Venezuelan coffee shop called Amara that is located in my neck of the woods.  I have walked by it many times but never tried it and not aware that they served anything other than coffee and chocolate. After seeing it on the Bachelor, I decided to give it a try.  Thank you, Juan Pablo! My hubby and I started with beef empanadas and tekes (cheese sticks), then tried a few of the arepas, and ended with churros in chocolate sauce and a Venezuelan cacao latte (they also gave us samples of their chocolates, and Venezuelan hot chocolate).  This was one of the best dining experiences, from the savory to the sweet!  My hubby (who is a total "foodie") was in heaven from beginning to end.  In his own words, he was like a heroin addict getting a fix after being deprived for 3 days.  He loved it so much, I think we are going to go back there again in a few hours! 

Well, I have a busy week ahead of me that I haven't finished getting ready for and my Sunday is slipping away from me.  Everyone have a nice week!  {empty theater/crickets chirping}


4 comments:

  1. First of all, welcome to the world of teacher blogs! That is great! My sons are 21 and 18 and I will be having to face the empty nest sooner than I may like, so I am understanding your pain. Your blog is very cute with great class activities that you have posted. Good luck to you and have fun!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world!! I'm a newbie too, and that voice in your head is right, they will come! Haha! I hope your ankle feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you blog design... you did it all by yourself??? WOW!!! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog o find out about your nomination!
    Dirt Road Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacey! I am pretty new to the blogging world, too, and my oldest two are in college, so I feel your pain! (ok, not the ankle pain, thank goodness, although I certainly need to get on my dusty treadmill...) I, too, am having trouble finding motivation to blog when I know no one is reading it, so....I've added you to my Bloglovin' list! I'm a follower, so blog away! Here is my blog (although not as cute as yours..): http://www.firstgradebangs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete